Saturday, March 23, 2013

Is The Glass Half-Full or Half-Empty?

Most people who know me would say I see the glass as half-full.  

While acknowledging that others may not have been afforded the same opportunities as myself....

I will be the first to admit - my life is ridiculously awesome. 


I do not live in a bubble.  There are shadows that occasionally attempt to blur my vision.  The timing of these cloudy moments is not something I can control.  However, granting the power for these to emotionally cripple me or to chase them away with factual logic - is up to me.

Being positive isn't intrinsic to human nature.  It's not something you blindly rush into, regardless of circumstances.  It's a choice, made after careful consideration of all factors involved.  The following are tried and true coping mechanisms I have developed over the years.  These may or may not work for you, but they are excellent methods of weeding out negative thoughts.

> Make a list of the qualities and characteristics you like about yourself, your life.  These can range anywhere from the fact that you have a great smile or that you love the car you drive.  Read this list often and refer to it when you feel yourself feeling less than content with life.

> Connect with friends or loved ones.  Spending time with others takes your mind off of your troubles and helps you forget the reason you were ever down in the first place.



> Do something nice for someone.  Demonstrate kindness to others.  Besides the obvious benefit to the recipient, this is a guaranteed way of giving you a more optimistic outlook.

> Look for the positive.  Remember the 'I Spy' game you played as a child?  Instead of 'I spy something green', replace it with, "I spy something positive".  Once you focus your attention towards it, you'll find it's all around you.



> Rationalization.  This simply means recognizing how circumstances could be worse.  For example:  "I may not be where I want to be in my career, but at least I have a job in an uncertain economy."  Practicing this tactic has a remarkable way of bringing things into perspective.

> Take a walk.  Exercise is a fantastic way of clearing your mind and has been proven to regulate chemicals in our brains which promote feelings of well-being.

> Don't take things for granted.  Life is fleeting - what is in our hands today may be gone tomorrow.  Understand and appreciate what you have in the Now.

> Play a favorite upbeat song.  Music has a way of improving your mood and lifting your spirits.  One of my 'go to' songs is Armen Van Buren's 'Going Wrong'.  It's an anthem about moving forward with life despite not knowing the outcome.

Life is too short to waste time on being pessimistic.  The old adage rings true, "Life is 10% of what happens to you, and 90% of how you react to it."  

The choice is yours.

Rika


Armen Van Buren - Going Wrong (Lyrics below)

Yea, I keep dreaming
That I have it all
Ooh, I'm still craving
To have you by my side

I know our love is fading
But soon it will shine

And I can't see today
And I can't see tomorrow
You're burning out my head
And in my brain it's going wrong

And I will live today
And I will love tomorrow
No matter what is said or done
Even if it's going wrong

Even if it's going wrong 
You're burning out my head

I keep searching
Forever in your eyes
I'll be careful
But soon we will shine

And I can't see today
And I can't see tomorrow
You're burning out my head
And in my brain it's going wrong

And I will live today
And I will love tomorrow
No matter what is said or done
Even if it's going wrong

Even if it's going wrong 
You're burning out my head

Even if it's going wrong

You're burning out my head
And I can't see today
And I can't see tomorrow 

You're burning out my head
And I will live today
And I will love tomorrow
No matter what is said or done
Even if it's going wrong


No comments:

Post a Comment