Saturday, January 5, 2013

Female, Forty and Fighting

How does a 40 something suburban housewife who loves high heels and french manicures discover she has an affinity for video games of the fighting variety? Prior to joining this family, my gaming experience was limited to Ms. Pacman, Atari style, and a random PS2 game of Frogger - and you know that means it's been awhile since I played!  However, in a household where the world of xbox is revered and enjoyed on a daily basis, that quickly changed. From the start, Charles, Sid and Kaz would passionately recount the thrills of gaming, eyes shining as they recounted stories of epic battles, impressive arsenals and 'dope' characters, all in the most minute detail.  They are hardcore gamers and can easily lose track of time while sharing their favorite highlights, never noticing when your eyes start glazing over!  I never mind though - it's rewarding to see them bond together over shared experiences - I'm now able to join in the conversation with a few of my own favorite gaming moments.

Buoyed by their enthusiasm and encouragement, I ventured into the sacred world of xbox.  They introduced me to my first game, Left 4 Dead 2, a cooperative first person shooter that gives you the option of utilizing melee weapons against the undead.  To my delight, we played this together as a family, and I learned to communicate effectively with my team so we could navigate the game successfully.  I immediately developed a fondness for crouching in doorways, hitting the oncoming zombies over the head with a skillet, (my weapon of choice), as they tried to rush past me!  No worries though, the rest of the family were standing right behind me and took care of the ones I missed!  We still laugh to this day about how uncoordinated I used to be with the controller, (I'd climb up a ladder and turn in circles, bewildered and trying to get my bearings, because I had the camera angle wrong), but they have always been troopers about patiently giving me pointers and tips.  To this day, they are available and quick to offer advice if I encounter a tough spot in a game.


Nick wielding a skillet in L4D2

After trying a few different genres, I found I preferred action-oriented games that caused mayhem over the quieter, more 'lady-like' games.  The adrenaline rush experienced during these fighting games provides a very cathartic experience!  Listed below are a few of my favorites that are must-haves in my personal library:

Unreal Tournament - this is an arena FPS (first person shooter), with head-to-head multi-player death matches against bots.  One of my best memories of this game is when Sid's friend spent the night and the entire family, including Marie, (who also qualifies herself as a casual gamer) played this together.  We had a blast, stopping only for the occasional snack, and kept playing until 7:30 the next morning!

Soul Calibur - a weapons-based 3D fighting game which allows you to play both arcade and story mode.  You can create and customize characters - their clothing as well as their fighting styles.  I made it to the 20th level on story mode and then got stuck, but pick it back up once in awhile, hoping to break through to level 21.  No luck so far, but I definitely enjoy the sword fighting anyway!

Dead or Alive - a fast-paced game in a three-dimensional playing field with emphasis placed on striking characters quickly and efficiently.  The physical contact and cool environmental changes keep your attention - earning new costumes gives you extra incentive for winning a match, in addition to the thrill of victory!

Blur - a racing game with stunning real world environments, fast cars and an awesome music soundtrack.  This game allows you to collect power-ups and drop them on your competitors, damaging their vehicles and giving you an advantage in the race.  Another family favorite for group gaming - we played this for hours with a recent out of town guest, with a lot of laughs and friendly competition!


Waterfront racetrack in Blur

Saints Row 2 - this action-adventure open world game can be played sandbox style or by accomplishing missions through the story mode.  The environments are gorgeously detailed, with plenty of areas to explore.  Charles and I had a lovely 'virtual date' one evening, while driving a jetski through an underground river in a Stilwater cavern- it was really quite romantic and still a special memory we remember fondly!  He is currently playing this game with Marie, romancing her while they explore the city together.  She swears it's almost as good as an actual date, and I certainly agree, for our charming Charles turns any occasion into a magical experience!  I did have some trouble with some of the tougher missions in this game, but Charles, (who goes above and beyond in demonstrating his care) is finishing some of the more difficult ones for me, to make it less stressful for my casual-gaming style. (He actually did the same thing for Marie, what a sweetheart!)


Cruising the city of Stilwater in SR2

Saints Row 3 - this newest version of the game was long anticipated by Charles, Sid and I, and although it had a few crazy quirks that made for good fun, ultimately we discovered we preferred SR2 overall.  Not only was this my first time standing in line outside the game store with the boys, waiting for the midnight release, but this was also the first time I paid full price and bought my own copy!  Serious stuff.  ^  ^

Although I'm certainly what you would consider a 'casual gamer', I appreciate the relaxation and value my xbox affords.  While some would argue about the 'dangers' of video games, you can see that in our home, we use it not only for recreation, but as a positive tool to engage and connect with one another. Playing games together co-op style improves our communication and team work skills, translating effectively IRL (in real life).  It's also wonderful for stress relief and just plain good fun!

Rika

“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!” 
Benjamin Franklin


10 reasons to play video games

2 comments:

  1. Hi! As a female gamer myself I have just started a blog about gaming. I like your post as it is similar to how I became involved in gaming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I checked out your blog - good luck with your writing!

      Delete