Friday, January 25, 2013

A Father's Unconditional Love

{Written to my dad after he and my stepmom met Charles and Marie for the first time. He is a man of deep religious faith - while we don't always agree, and he does not condone my poly relationship - he is able to acknowledge the happiness and peace I've found.}

Hi Daddy Dearest,                                                                                            

Just wanted to say thank you, from the bottom of my heart.  Some girls grow up without a father figure in their lives. Some girls grow up with a father that is present physically, but has mentally checked out, or abuses them emotionally, physically or worse.  I've been very lucky - I am blessed with an amazing Dad who really loves me, at my best, at my worst, and everything in between.  One who has consistently shown me love, support and encouragement, and tried to protect me from all evils, great and small.  Who is willing to be honest, direct and acknowledge a better way for both himself and me to follow.  A dad that is silly and makes me laugh, who shares his faith and heart, and is always available to listen and give advice, even if I choose not to follow it.                                                

You've given me a lifetime of beautiful memories and taught me many valuable lessons. The most valuable of them all stands above the rest: Unconditional Love.  While I realize and understand that you don't agree with my lifestyle/relationship choice, the openness, love and warmth you have shown my new family means everything to me.  I was so proud to share you and Grace and to have the people I love best in the world meet each other and exchange hearts, hugs and laughter.  Thank you for proving to be exactly who I've always said you were, the best dad a girl could ever have!             
                                                                   
Love you!     

Rika                                




No comments:

Post a Comment