Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Clearly, I'm in Love!

In 2010, I met the man who would blow the competition out of the water....

Permanently.  



The family that would change my life in the best way possible...

Forever.

After four years, one might think we were past the 'honeymoon' phase, and well into the 'tolerance' phase.  By now, given the challenges we've had with family members on both sides, we could've easily caved under the criticism of our uncommon relationship. 


Instead, our bond  has strengthened and our commitment to one another still stands.  The positivity and joy you read in my articles aren't empty words, they ring true even today.  

Take tonight for example; a weekday evening filled to the brim with happiness.

Marie and I planned an impromptu mini-trip for next weekend - to a local amusement park. We took a similar trip last year - just two friends thoroughly enjoying each other's company. We fully expect to have just as much fun this time around! 


Our daughter and granddaughter dropped by for a short visit; both mother and baby have grown over the last several months.  Karana has adapted beautifully to her new role as a parent.  Her daughter has to be the most adorable little girl ever born!  But then, as a first-time grandma, I'm understandably not one bit objective in that regard!  The baby kept us laughing delightedly as she smiled and cooe'd, exploring the first floor on hands and knees.  

Our son woke up from a nap, coming down the stairs - groggy, tall and handsome.  He was shorter than my 5 foot frame when I first joined the family; now he towers over me, learning to drive, getting excellent grades in school, developing strength of character.  His little niece took one look at him and scooted after as fast as she could, stopping at his feet to smile up at his face. It's the kind of thing that makes your heart grow two sizes too big!



This weekend, our other son will visit, regaling us with his latest thoughts on music, video games, and his new prospects for girlfriends.  His gift for dynamic conversation will be a welcome addition; he has a knack for adding a lot of energy to a party!

For now though, the house is quiet , everyone gone to bed.  Charles and I are sitting in companionable silence at our computers,  each writing blog articles.  (See his latest article here)  Soft music is playing in the background, and our crazy little cat is chasing one of her toys around the living room.  

The peacefulness of the room resonates deep within my heart.

I love this man, thoroughly and completely.  Respect the honorable way he conducts himself as a man of character, keeping every promise he's made to me since Day One. Fiercely proud of the way he takes his responsibility as a father to heart, being a parent first, but also their friend; the way the children respond to him.  Admire the fact that he successfully nurtures fully realized relationships with two different women in the same household.  I've never felt shortchanged; quite frankly, I feel more loved and valued than I ever did in twenty years of a monogamous marriage.


It's a good life.  Rich.  Full.  Vibrant.

Clearly, I'm in love.  On a deep and soul-satisfying level.  

Below is a beautifully eloquent message Charles recently sent to me, referencing the vows we exchanged last September.  There wasn't any special reason he wrote this - it was a workday morning in the middle of the week- but that's exactly how his love works.  

Just Because.

Rika
_________________________________________________________________

clearly.
4.16.14

I was clear and of good mind
When I took your hand in our field, and slipped those rings over your fingers
Then said the words that pledged my Oaths and Truths
- that as long as you would be willing
I will stand for you, fight for you, love for you, live for you
For as long as this world will allow. 

I was clear and of fine heart
When I kissed your lips and made my choice
That I would give and share with you, need and want of you
Be the man you would love, living as the man you can
Relentlessly tender and Fiercely engaged with you
For as long as your heart will allow.

I was clear and deeply in love
When I made you my wife and bound my soul to yours
Then drove you home, knowing that I would
Stand before you when you need my strength,
Walk beside you when you want my time
And lie down with you, when you call for your man
For as long as this body will allow.

And to all these things, I am committed willingly and in great joy
In good mind, fine heart and deepest love, clearly
Now and Evermore
For as long as this life will allow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment