Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Gamer Girl Highlights 2013

In January of this year, I posted an article called Female, Forty and Fighting, in which I described myself as a casual gamer.  Looking back, I have to smile at how I've morphed into a dedicated gamer over the last several months.  I'm still every bit the girly-girl I've always been, but now I also live and breathe game-speak to the point where my co-workers know better than to ask me what I did over the weekend; they realize they'll get an enthusiastic earful of my latest adventures in gaming!  At home when we share anecdotes or stories, we've developed the habit of qualifying it beforehand as either IRL (in real life) or IVL (in virtual life), just so there's no confusion! 


A quite accurate example of facial expressions I make during gaming, lol.

We haven't yet succumbed to the Xbox One yet.  With as many Xbox 360s in the household as there are family members, this would be quite an expense - plus we're so immersed in our current game we are quite content to wait and let them work out the kinks first. 

Below I'll share a little bit about this year's gaming highlights; if you haven't already, I highly recommend you try them out for yourself!


Skylanders Giants 

Skylanders and Skylanders Giants - originally intended as children's games, we soon found that the average age of players were in their mid-30s.  With light-up action figures placed upon a portal of power, this beat-em-up, loot-collecting game lets you level up your characters' special abilities and defeat the bad guys, mash-up cartoon style.  It's a blast to play, addicting and admittedly rather expensive, as it keeps you eagerly browsing the stores to add to your character collection.  There are about 70 in all, if you include their latest game, Swap Force. We couldn't bear to part with our beloved characters after we finished the game and have them safely packed away, planning to share them with our grandchildren when the time comes!


Defiance

Defiance - a massive multi-player online role-playing game (MMORPG) third-person shooter set in an open world post-apocalyptic landscape.  One of my favorite features of the game are the Arkfalls, in which you battle co-op with up to 20 other online players to defeat giant creatures and collect the loot left behind.  This was my very first MMORPG and a major turning point in the development of my shooting, strategy and stealth skills.  This game was also tied into the Defiance TV series; the entire family enjoyed watching this well-written science fiction drama where humans and intelligent extraterrestrial species coexist.


Saints Row 4

Saints Row 4 - a third-person shooter action-adventure game where you play a character placed in a computer simulation by invading aliens.  Throughout the game you earn and develop superhero abilities that enable you to leap over tall buildings in a single bound and glide through the air effortlessly.  These powers aid you in eventually reclaiming earth back from the aliens through campaign missions and side quests.  Navigating in games has never been my strong point, but this game's ridiculous powers allowed me to improve that particular gaming skill.



GTA 5 (Grand Theft Auto 5) - the offline story mode allows you to switch between the intertwining lives of 3 characters in a third-person open world environment.  In Charles' opinion, veteran gamer that he is, it has one of the best story lines he's ever experienced in a video game. 
Story modes aren't usually my favorite, but as soon as I tried it, I quickly got caught up in the lives of the characters.  I'm currently completing the 
side missions necessary to gather the needed items for my first heist.

My real love, though, is the 16 multi-player online version.  Although it had a few issues upon release, most of these have been fixed and a generous $500K stimulus bestowed by Rockstar Games as remediation for those of us who experienced the initial glitches.  It recovered quickly, moving on to win Game of the Year at the 2013 Golden Joystick Awards held in London this past October,  and is also the proud owner of 7 Guinness World Records.  It also boasts the largest playable area in an open world title - approximately 50 square miles; for comparison's sake, the city of Manhattan is roughly 34 square miles.


City of Los Santos at Night

Against the gorgeous setting of Los Santos, not only can you explore the city's scenery in sandbox mode and complete the usual missions, side quests, death matches and survival missions that are intrinsic to the game - you're also able to sky dive and scuba dive, compete in tennis, golf, dart, and arm-wrestling matches as well as land, sea and air races. You can buy an apartment with up to a 10 car garage, have your friends over to visit, and work together keeping the peace or playing havoc by stealing fighter jets from the military base and escaping the cops - the choices are up to you.  The detail of the object permanence along with the dialogue of the city's inhabitants is amazing.


Night View from my GTAV apartment

It's become the entire family's obsession for the last two months; after our household responsibilities are done, we've had several weekends and endless weeknights filled with family co-op sessions of GTA 5 online.  Marie and I particularly enjoy the playing the survival missions together.  Throughout the mission, we keep a random commentary going that has Charles laughing and promising to release a 'Housewives of GTA 5' on You Tube!


Survival Mission: Boneyard

While I love playing with the family,  I enjoy developing and employing my own strategies to defeat enemies single-handedly.  I love the thrill of satisfaction that comes with completing a challenging mission on my own.  I've become quite adept at handling a sniper and assault rifle, and can't wait to level up enough to unlock my favorite weapon of all time - the invincible rocket-launcher! 

It is unfortunate that video games get such a bad rap and and get the blame when a tragedy happens.  I'm no more likely to take a gun and shoot someone in real life because I played a video game, than I am to become an artist by going to an art show, or rape someone because I'm an athiest who is portrayed as having no 'Christian' morals. Strong language?  Yes, it is, but you get my point. I agree that some games, especially GTA 5, aren't suitable for young children; accordingly, games ratings are displayed on game covers as notification for the potential buyer and/or involved parent.  Despite the negative light they are portrayed in, for the average responsible gamer, an immersive video game is a great stress reliever after a long workday.  

Lighthouse at Dusk

I no longer consider myself a casual gamer, and relish the confidence that allows me to pick up any game I choose and play it successfully.  While there are those who like to insist that gaming is a time waster, perhaps I might feel the same about someone who is an avid sports fan - it's not my thing, but to each his own, right?  For me, playing video games is a very gratifying hobby and at the core of many positive family memories. Additionally, the confidence and growth I've developed IVL mirrors the growth I've witnessed in my personal life; I can't wait to experience what happens next!

Stay tuned, Ladies and Gentlemen, this journey has just begun...

Rika


Epic GTA 5 Stunt Montages

Copter Pro - Charles' character outside my Apartment Window

No comments:

Post a Comment