Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Sky Full of Stars

This post is a tribute to Charles and Marie, my poly-fidelitous partners of the last 4 1/2 years:

While everyone has moments of heartache in their life, I never lose sight of the many good things within my grasp, including the two of you........

........Your love has been life-changing.

In a world where divided families are commonplace, those that remain intact can sometimes appear to do so for reasons of security and convenience.  I experienced this myself firsthand in a previous marriage, whose empty shell only lasted due to avoidance of addressing real issues - partners bound together solely by responsibility and routine. That life didn't work for me.

When I stumbled upon you, I discovered something completely different; a home where people genuinely cooperate to build a relationship enriched by daily acts of kindness. Life partners who hold personal accountability paramount and seek loving, viable solutions through open and honest discussion.  The investment of that time and effort is priceless and protects our longevity together.

With the decision to bring 'another womaninto your relationship, naysayers predicted it would break up your marriage. You proved them wrong by experiencing exponential growth and connectivity in your own relationship. You've been together for over 23 years now.  If they could see the way you two constantly laugh and tease each other like young teenagers in love, they would be forced to eat their words! 

When I first joined this relationship, my (previously) passive nature was overwhelmed by such a dynamic atmosphere! In a family of individuals rich with color, character and meaning, you allowed me some time to bask in the ambiance, but not for long! Instead, I was encouraged to jump in with both feet - forming my own opinions, finding my voice and realizing the unique flavor that I could contribute to the household.  Now we often joke that it's difficult to keep me quiet!  I appreciate your patience as I learned to temper my new found assertiveness with balance and compassion.

I appreciate you not caging me with selfish insecurities, as had been my experience in past relationships, but genuinely supporting my personal growth.  I truly needed the freedom to find myself; your brand of care has allowed me to reach new heights.  You gave me this gift realizing that someday it could mean I'd fly away from your nest...  yet the beauty in that freedom has woven our hearts closer together, not due to any need- but simply by choice. 
For never once treating me as a lesser partner; for giving me the space and freedom to build customized relationships with each of you - thank you.  

In my 46 years, I've never felt taller; laughed harder; loved more comprehensively, lived life more passionately, or felt more connected to who I am than I have in my time with the two of you.  You're the real thing. Irreplaceable, the best friends a girl could ever ask for, and an integral part of my future.  

We joke about retiring one day and moving into a nursing home together. 
They'll never see us coming, lol!

In a Sky full of Stars, it's You.  <333

Rika


A Sky Full of Stars - Coldplay

No comments:

Post a Comment